Certificate in Graphic Design and Interactive Media (Summer 2016)
San Diego Continuing Education
Bachelor of Arts, English Language and Literature (Summer 2014)
University of California, Berkeley
Graduated with Highest Honors distinction
U.C. Berkeley Department of English Award of Excellence
Anonymously nominated by faculty, this honor is awarded to 4-6 students annually for recognition of exceptional work in research, analysis, and criticism of English Literature.
George A. Miller Scholarship
This esteemed honor is awarded to 10-15 first-generation college transfer students annually. The Miller Scholarship Program is a 2-year coursework and independent research program, for which I designed a 12-week creative writing curriculum and workshop for teens living in group homes.
Associate of Arts, English (Summer 2011)
San Diego Mesa College
San Diego Mesa College Department of English Award of Excellence
This prize is given to a single student annually for outstanding achievement within the discipline.
1st prize for poetry - “Anthologies” , 2nd prize for short fiction - “The Affliction”
Mesa Visions, 2011 issue
Recent Work Experience
Intake Specialist (2015-present)
I currently work with some of the most resilient and inspiring people I've ever met at the Think Dignity Transitional Storage Center. We offer free, secure storage space to 400 of our homeless San Diego neighbors to help them get back on track toward finding work and a safe place to live again. I help manage our database and provide our clients with varied service and support. Think Dignity also offers mobile showers and free legal advice to those in need.
Editorial Assistant (2014)
The editorial team at Bridgepoint publishes college-level textbooks in digital format with embedded media. My experience on that team served as an accelerated course higher education publishing, building my skills in areas from developmental editing to project management and media development. I left this position to return to school for design and pursue creative writing professionally.
My duties included:
- editing and writing educational content for various titles.
- contracting freelancers content or editing services as needed.
- managing art programs for titles, including photo research and cover design.
- managing academic review boards for all titles tracking project budgets and processing all invoice payments to freelanced contractors weekly.
- serving as liaison between my team, authors, reviewers, university faculty and administration to ensure the highest quality of each final textbook.
Interlibrary Services, Doe Library, U.C. Berkeley
Library Assistant (2012-2014)
It was my responsibility to oversee the daily operations of lending and borrowing between Berkeley and schools and libraries worldwide. This position divided my time evenly between clerical duties and customer service. I left upon my graduation from college.
My duties included:
- recieving and processing library materials borrowed from other academic institutions.
- serving as first contact of customer service for students, staff, and faculty regarding interlibrary borrowing and renewal.
- paging materials throughout the library's massive underground stacks.
Greenwood Mortuary and Memorial Park
Funeral Attendant (2010-11)
This job required a high level of tact and professionalism toward both clients and coworkers. It also demanded working knowledge of several different cultures' funeral practices and general decorum in order to conduct oneself with the utmost respect in social interactions with every grieving family. I left this job upon my acceptance to U.C. Berkeley.
My duties included:
- complete set-up and breakdown of funeral services.
- transporting and arrangement of flowers, casket, and memorabilia, composing obituaries, memorial and informational statements.
- event organizing tasks such as ushering and directing service attendees.
- consoling and supporting families and friends during their loved one's memorial services.